Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Grizzly Bear, Kitson

This fan-made video for "Two Weeks" by Grizzly Bear is amazing -



How I Met Your Mother used the song in last night's episode for a montage of the "Second Greatest Love Story" and I realized I should give the band a second chance after Yellow House bored me except for "On A Neck, On A Spit".

*Daniel Kitson, comedian, posted 2 shows on his website, which is exciting because good recordings of his stuff is impossible to find and he hasn't put out any comedy albums or videos despite being a winner of awards. All of his own accord -
Starting as a stand-up comedian at 16, he'd won a Perrier Award by the tender age of 24, along with several Fringe Firsts and a slew of international accolades.

But Kitson treats this information as if it's an embarrassing secret, the sort of thing you wouldn't want your mother to find under the mattress.

"It was unfair," says Kitson. "No-one asks you if you want to enter the Perrier Awards. Every step of the way, I was saying, I don't want to do a photo shoot, they make me itch, I find them upsetting. I don't want to do press. I don't want any of it."

In fact, the fewer people that turn up to his events, the better. "I'd really like to whittle my fan base down to about 12 – you can call them disciples if you like."

What marks this reticent star out from other shy celebrities, however, is the total control he has over his image. Acting as his own manager and publicist means that there's no one around to persuade him into that extra gig or that other interview. His website has one podcast on it, from 2005. Beside it is a note saying that he intends, eventually, to post more, maybe. It may suit Kitson down to the ground but the rest of us miss out on discovering the melancholy joy he brings to audiences with a combination of story telling, imagination, imagery and pathos.

Daniel Kitson video.

No comments:

Post a Comment