Monday, October 19, 2009

Appleton's Mayor


Kole -
The pace and thoroughness, if not orthographic precision, of this local amateur historian make "What's the Story, Mr. Story" a spellbinding read . . . and it's just mindblowing that this might've actually happened. You may skip or skim the majority of what I send you but I'm begging you, open this and click the "Story" link, read it, be amazed.


Here!

Apparently very little is known about Appleton's first ever mayor and this amateur historian makes a pretty compelling case that Mayor Amos Story is actually the Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story - who happened to die in 1845; Amos Story became mayor in 1857. So Joseph Story faked his own death in Massachusetts then traveled to where Appleton would be founded, changed his name to Amos Story, and became mayor. I believe it because the story allows me to affirm (begun by watching Deadwood) that living in the 19th century would have been nuts. I think that picture of Judge Joseph Story will haunt my dreams for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment