Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ecstatic Viewing

Shoals at Free Darko describes what it was like for me to watch Jennings last Saturday -

My sense is that, for the most part, sports become easier to invest one's self in the more you know about them, and vice-versa. The trick is that this class of athlete short-circuits this relationship. They don't transcend the burden of understanding, they tear down the very parameters by which understanding is so strictly tied into spectatorship. Call it ecstatic viewing, performance without description, or the belief that some moments in sports can cause sports to fall away and just sit there in front of you, beaming, as if their power were inherent, their expressiveness final, and their ends, inevitable, if not irrelevant.


Yep. That game - that performance by Jennings - reintroduced me to basketball. It made me forget why I grew to dislike the NBA. And now I'm hooked with this team, just hoping for another performance that reaches that level again (And shit if Monday almost did it).

They talk the Bucks again on today's Free Darko podcast here.

No comments:

Post a Comment