Monday, November 2, 2009

Lake Michigan Surf



The Journal-Sentinel has a story up about two brothers who make hollow wood surfboards that work particularly well for the surf season on Lake Michigan near Sheboygan that runs from September to May.

After some research, they discovered that the hollow wood surfboard was invented by water sports legend Tom Blake, who was born in Milwaukee in 1902. The Wisconsin tie appealed to them, and since they were working construction jobs they had access to scrap lumber.

So in 2007 they began a process of trial and error to build three surfboards. Each board took about 120 hours, a time they have since cut in half.

...

While wooden boards are significantly heavier than the typical surfboard, Kaftanski said the weight is an advantage for Great Lakes surfing where momentum is needed. Wood boards also are more durable, and Kaftanski said they are more environmentally friendly.


I had no idea there was a surfing 'season' on Lake Michigan; I thought I heard it was only possible a couple times a year when the weather cooperates just perfectly. I imagine surfing during the winter would be quite a trip, and sounds like something I could convince John Beck to do sometime. Of course, I'd have to learn how to surf first.

2 comments:

  1. I'm down! My ski patrol friend Colin in Chicago knew someone who surfed Lake Michigan, but it sounds like you get the chance just a few times a year and then you have to drop everything and drive to the south side, or wherever it works out.

    Another fun fact, there was a skate/snow/surf shop in Houghton briefly my freshman year for Lake Superior, but I think they turned into just a skate/snow shop that's downtown now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damm dude, it's true what they said about Houghton - it has everything you could ever imagine there except girls

    ReplyDelete