Monday, November 2, 2009

Redd, Alexander, Yount

Michael Redd is out at least 2 weeks. $35 million dollars will buy a lot of suits so at least he'll look sharp sitting at the end of the bench. At least it will guarantee a lot more emphasis placed on Brandon Jennings and Hakim Warrick whose mistakes are more interesting to watch than the rest of the team.

Joe Alexander is gonna be the highest drafted player to have his rookie option declined. Who would have thought the 8th leading scorer at basketball powerhouse West Virginia would have trouble in the NBA? Reminds me of the Gladwell/Simmons article from awhile ago that argues that NBA general managers over-think themselves into bad teams.

So why do I think I would be better? There's a famous experiment done by a wonderful psychologist at Columbia University named Dan Goldstein. He goes to a class of American college students and asks them which city they think is bigger -- San Antonio or San Diego. The students are divided. Then he goes to an equivalent class of German college students and asks the same question. This time the class votes overwhelmingly for San Diego. The right answer? San Diego. So the Germans are smarter, at least on this question, than the American kids. But that's not because they know more about American geography. It's because they know less. They've never heard of San Antonio. But they've heard of San Diego and using only that rule of thumb, they figure San Diego must be bigger. The American students know way more. They know all about San Antonio. They know it's in Texas and that Texas is booming. They know it has a pro basketball team, so it must be a pretty big market. Some of them may have been in San Antonio and taken forever to drive from one side of town to another -- and that, and a thousand other stray facts about Texas and San Antonio, have the effect of muddling their judgment and preventing them from getting the right answer.

I'd be the equivalent of the German student. I know nothing about basketball, so I'd make only the safest, most obvious decisions. I'd read John Hollinger and Chad Ford and I'd print out your mid-season NBA roundup and post it on my blackboard. I'd look at the box scores every morning, and watch Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith on TNT. Would I have made the disastrous Marbury trade? Of course not. I'd wonder why Jerry Colangelo -- who I know is a lot smarter than I am -- was so willing to part with him.

Would I have traded for Curry? Are you kidding? All I know is that Chicago is scared of his attitude and his health, and Paxson knows way more about basketball -- and about Eddy Curry -- than I do. Trade for Jalen Rose? No way. One of the few simple facts that basketball dummies like me know is that players in their early thirties are pretty much over the hill. And Jerome James? Please. I have no idea how to evaluate a player's potential. But I'd look up his stastistics on NBA.com and see that's he's been pretty dreadful his whole career, and then I'd tell his agent to take a hike.

Now would I be as good as GM as Jerry West or Joe Dumars? Of course not. But just by sitting on my hands, and being scared of looking like a fool, and taking only the safest, most conservative steps, and drafting only solid players that everybody agrees are a can't miss, I could make the Knicks a vastly better team than they are today -- as could any reasonably cautious and uninformed fan....

That's Thomas in a nutshell: He knows so much about basketball that he believes that he knows more than anyone else about the potential of previously undistinguished players. He thinks he can see into the true basketball soul of Jerome James. The truth is, of course, that James doesn't have a basketball soul.

By the way, while we're on this topic, let's play a real world application of this. Let's say I'm so dumb about basketball that all I know is that the best college programs in the country are Duke and UConn, and so as a GM my rule is only draft and/or trade for the first and second team players, in any given year, from those two schools. So I fire all my scouts. I disband my front office, and basically say that I cede my basketball judgment to Jim Calhoun and Mike K. What's my team? It's some combination of Elton Brand, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Rip Hamilton, Corey Maggette, Jay Williams, Caron Butler, Donyell Marshall and Grant Hill -- which is a really wonderful team. Now, of course, in the real world I couldn't get all those people, because lots of them were really high draft picks. But let's say I got Brand in a trade, after Chicago soured on him, and I was lucky enough to be in the lottery for Okafor. Maggette was a 13; Hamilton and Deng were 7s; and Butler was a 10 -- so at least some of them are doable, particularly since in off-years for Duke and UConn I can trade down and stockpile picks. Battier I wine and dine in the free agent market, because who wants to be stuck in Memphis? Ditto for Gordon, who, it seems, Chicago is thinking of moving anyway. Is that the best team in the league? No. It is better than the Knicks? Absolutely. The point is that clinging to a very simple rule of thumb here -- that doesn't require knowing much about basketball -- can leave you looking pretty smart.


I probably shouldn't have any strong opinion on this because I've only been following the Bucks for the past, uh, week, but I remember being slightly perplexed when I heard the Bucks picked Alexander, especially considering 'name' players (i.e. players that I had heard of before the NCAA tournament) like Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and Marreese Speights were still available. Obviously, I have the benefit of hindsight, but considering the Bucks wasted a lottery pick the prior year on Yi Jianlian I don't think it is unfair to assume the Bucks suffer from what Gladwell was describing.

Finally, Robin Yount may have used a corked bat. I'm curious if anyone will care. I don't, but then I don't even really care about steroids/HGH so whatever.

2 comments:

  1. To be fair Alexander propelled himself into 'big NCAA name' with his junior year at WVU. And I just read that the Nets, the same Nets who drafted Brook Lopez, considered trading up to get Alexander.

    I think he's the white Gerald Green. All dunk no brain. If you read about Alexander it's always "he puts in more time than anyone" and "there isn't a harder worker on the team." Well if he's so freakishly athletic, which the Bucks front office wouldn't deny, and he works so hard, *something* is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not denying that Alexander didn't have a lot of potential that was enticing to a bunch of teams - and I'm not saying that Alexander couldn't end up being a useful player.

    But the things that people were praising Alexander for - he can bench the most reps, he can jump high, he can sprint - are the things that don't really matter with no basketball brains, but GM's take the risk that they can instill the brains into the player. This is just in hindsight complaining on my part. It just seemed back-to-back drafts of Yi Jianlian and Joe Alexander the Bucks were gambling on players without much of a history of success to hedge on.

    ReplyDelete